Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble Gobble


I know it’s been a while since my last post, but quite honestly I didn’t feel like writing a blog since July. But today I decided to post a Happy Thanksgiving message to everyone reading. I hope that you are all watching football, eating copious amounts of food, and visiting with your friends and family.

My Thanksgiving was pretty simple. I taught an 11th grade class this morning, went to the market and bank around lunch time, spent the afternoon doing laundry and reading in my hammock, and then went for my evening run. On my way back from my run some of my students gave me some flowers that they had picked from the water lilies in the school’s fish pond. I gave some of the flowers to one of the neighbor boys and he promptly started eating it and told me it was delicious. I decided not to eat my remaining flowers, but put them in a jar on my table.

For my 2009 Thanksgiving dinner I cooked the most basic of basic meals….rice and beans with two eggs. This will be my last holiday season in Cambodia and I decided that celebrating my simple life here with a simple meal would be fitting. I also wanted to remind myself of the things I’m thankful for in my life: family and friends that love me, my health, happiness, and random students that give me flowers after my workout.

Next year though, watch out! The last place you will want to be is in between me and the turkey/stuffing/pumpkin pie. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and I promise to post more often after my 5 month writing hiatus.

No comments: