Sunday, March 8, 2009

A duffel bag full of garbage and a spider the size of my hand

This weekend I visited the Provincial town to pick up my mail, mail some letters, and go to the bank. It's amazing that these tasks require an overnight stay and about 4-5 hours of traveling all together.

In Cambodia there is trash EVERYWHERE! Without a formal collection system, the trash takes over my life. Sometimes people burn it (usually right as I'm sitting down to eat my dinner), sometimes it is dumped on the side of the road and just blows around in the wind, other times it is lunch for the cows. I honestly have no clue what to do with my trash. I can't bring myself to burn it, so I usually take it to the provincial town where there is a semi-regular trash collection program. I'm sure the trucks just collect the trash and dump it in the marshes outside of town, but this is the best I can manage.

My trash disposal plan involves throwing it into a duffel bag, riding the 35k to town, then sneaking around after dark trying to find an empty trash container to toss it in. This was my weekend....fascinating, right?
The night before I left, the neighbor kids were playing with a huge spider outside my house. They told me not to worry because they cut the fangs off and it couldn't bite. It creeped me out, but I had to take some pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can deal with the trash but that spider is disgusting! You are brave. I think I'm going to go check for spide...errrr, get some things done around the house now.

Beth said...

Oh, man. That picture gives me the creeps! How do you stand it?

How does a spider cooperate to have his fangs removed? Novocaine?

We are off to Gallup. Galloping to Gallup--where they also have wandering animals. Last fall I saw a herd of horses walking through the parking lot of a convenience store.

Katean said...

Um ... wild animal stories ... Kiona and I saw a turkey walking home from school yesterday. I was just thinking that some of the Cooters in our area might like to eat when we called your uncle and he suggested the same thing! So Gene's new nickname is Cooter... :)

Meg Renee said...

Eeeeeek! Rock that spider is so so so big! I just don't want to see that in real life, but I guess I have to soon! Maybe I'll try your technique of going to the Butterfly Pavilion and petting one first! Miss you tons! I can't wait to tell you some more stories in my next letter! Did you get my last one yet from Stanford? Miss you!

Unknown said...

Hi
I'm rpcv barbara wrapping up two years in Lesotho, Africa my last service was 96-99 in the Philippines. Now, I know I'm crazy but I'm thinking of doing it again, this time, (maybe) Cambodia, they are looking at me and I am looking at them. I'm 60 years old. Do you have senior pcvs there. are you on FB. How is it living with another family (So far they have let us live alone) Do they like Americans there? Sorry if it is too many questions. Don't blame you if you don't want to answer. I am enjoying your blog.

Rebecca said...

Hi Barbara,

For some reason I can't open up your profile to get your email address. I'm on Facebook or you can email me at rebecca.e.hayward@gmail.com

I'd be happy to answer your questions.