Wednesday, October 8, 2008

First Week at Site

Susedi from Kampuchea! I arrived at my permanent site on Sunday (my house is on the left) and had two days to settle in and get ready for school to start. Monday morning I spent a good two hours boiling water over a fire so that I would have enough drinking water for the week. I then ironed my clothes the old-fashioned way using hot coals in a heavy metal iron. I got the chance to explore this massive temple complex a few kilometers away from my house named Sambor Prey Kuk. I'll be posting pictures of it as soon as I can, because it is nothing less than amazing. Wednesday was my first official day of school and I spent the morning observing classes. I developed a weird rash on my legs and the medical officer said I probably got scabies from one of the grungy guesthouses in Phnom Penh last week.
So yesterday afternoon I rode my bike to the provincial town to pick up the medicine. It took quite a while to get here because it's about 30k away from my town and down a very bumpy road. It's funny when riding my bike 30k in the afternoon sun to get my scabies medicine becomes enjoyable. The provincial town has a western style restaurant, so for dinner last night I ate a cheeseburger, french fries, and a banana shake. It was fabulous and a nice change from the rice.
The kids in my host family (far left - cousin, middle - host brother, right-host sister).
Take care everyone! Miss you lots. Keep checking my blog and put in some requests for topics you would like to hear about.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Hey Cuz! It is so great to hear from you. I am glad that things are going well for you, except for the scabies... But good that you were able to get meds. for that. Keep posting, it makes me feel like you aren't so far away. I miss you tons. Take care.
Love, Sarah

Amy Hayward said...

Today I was in class and so sleepy that I started to fall asleep and almost drooled. It reminded me of you. See our lives are not that different. Cherio Old Chap

Unknown said...

Be careful, they jump!! I learned in my Infectious Diseases class this summer that both crabs and scabies can jump! How gross is that:) I miss you so much. It was great to read about all of your adventures, keep them coming. Is there anything you need out there...my mom and I wanted to send you a care package at some point, so let me know!! Also, can I still send stuff like letters and packages to that address you gave me before you left??? And Chris says hello!!
Love you,
Marissa